What goes into a healthy and also nutritious daily diet? While avocados and chocolates are essential nutrients, the term “essential” comes with special meaning when you add it to nutrition. The human body is not able to synthesize essential nutrients. You need to take them in the form of dietary supplements and also food.
Essential Nutrients: What Are They?
When it comes to an understanding of essential nutrients, there are two fatty acids, 20 minerals, 13 vitamins, and also nine amino acids that make crucial nutrients.
These are blocks for building protein. You can easily avail of Amino acids by having foods rich in their content of protein. Hence, in this category, you will find nutrients like threonine, histidine, leucine, isoleucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, tryptophan as well as valine.
They play an essential role in safeguarding the health of an individual. They are also used within the human body for cell structure and insulation. You also need them for hormone production and nerve transmission. There are two fatty acids, namely Omega-3 polyunsaturated fat and also Omega-6 polyunsaturated fat.
Essential Nutrients – Minerals And Vitamins
These are micronutrients needed by the human body. There are some minerals found within the human body, while others need to be availed by having different varieties of foods. Thus, some essential minerals and vitamins required by the human body include:
- vitamin A
- vitamin C
- D vitamin
- vitamin E
- vitamin K
- B1 vitamin (thiamine)
- vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
- vitamin B3 (niacin)
- pantothenic acid
- biotin (B7)
- vitamin B6
- vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin)
- folate (folic acid and B9)
How Much Essential Nutrients Does The Human Body Require?
So, now you have got an idea of the most important or essential nutrients for the human body. Thus, it is time for you to know how much of these nutrients you require. Moreover, if you go through Supplement Facts or Nutrition Facts, you will find several acronyms listed with numbers. These acronyms are DRIs or Dietary Reference Intakes.
They are quantitative evaluations of different nutrients for estimating and also planning healthy diets. These evaluations come from the National Academy of Sciences and Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine. So, quantitative recommendations go like this:
- RDA or Recommended Dietary Allowance: This is the average regular dietary level of intake. You can also consider it enough for meeting the nutrient requirements of 98% of healthy people.
- AI or Adequate Intake: Adequate intake estimations are used when RDA is not determined easily. Thus, these are experimental approximations of taking in nutrients.
- UL or Upper Intake Level: UL is the highest nutrient amount one can take safely within one day without posing any risk to their health.
- EAR or Estimated Average Requirement: EAR is determined when it comes to meeting the nutrient requirements of half of the healthy people in one group.
Apart from consuming essential nutrients in the right quantity, you also need water for proper health. Thus, having nutrients and water in perfect combination will make things work for you as far as your health is concerned.